Play/Pause is a Firefox add-on that adds a tiny button to any tab playing audio or video that enables you to pause the playing video or resume the paused video.
Firefox itself ships with the ability to mute audio right from the tab. No matter which tab the sound is coming from, you can now locate the source easier than ever and mute the sound just by clicking on the audio indicator that appears on the respective tab. However, so far the ability is simply to mute. It cannot pause nor stop the audio source. This is where Play/Pause comes. While the audio indicator emerges on the right side, the pause button can be seen on the left side on the tab.
Another thing that is more useful than the Firefox built-in ability to mute audio is that you can pause all playing audios/videos at once. For this to work you have to activate the Smart Pause feature in the extension option page beforehand. Note, however, that if you have at least one video playing and one video paused on two tabs respectively, then it works only for the last active tab.
Which sites are supported?
- YouTube (HTML5, Flash, IFrame), both on-site and embedded
- Music: Spotify, SoundCloud, LastFM, Bandcamp, Pandora, Rdio, Hype Machine, Amazon, 8tracks, Deezer, Jango, Slacker
- Video: Vimeo, MySpace, Ooyala
- Other: TwitchTV, Pocket Casts
- Any other site with an embedded HTML5 media player
Play/Pause is currently at version 1.1.0 at the time this article is written.